- Membership of the AIL
- News & Events
- Directory: Armitt to Chetham's
- Directory: D&E to Ipswich
- Directory: Langholm to Portico
- Directory: Saffron Walden to Working Class
- Online Catalogues
- Literary Prizes
- Annual Meeting of the AIL
The Devon and Exeter Institution founded in 1813
Annual Membership subscription rates: Individual £64; Any Family Member £30; Temporary Member (3 Months) £25; Junior £10
Application form available from the Secretary (one-off joining fee of £15/person)
550 members including university members
The Devon and Exeter Institution was founded in 1813 by some two hundred gentlemen of the county and city, ‘for promoting the general diffusion of Science, Literature and Art, and for illustrating the Natural and Civil History of the county of Devon and the city of Exeter’. The Institution is now a charity and has close links with Exeter University and other local societies and organisations.
The library, by gift and purchase, has reached a size of some 40,000 volumes. These include long runs of nineteenth century journals, many early scientific books, the works of local authors, and a great deal of printed historical source material. The collection of bound volumes of local newspapers, some dating from the eighteenth century is unique. There are many early illustrated books, topographical and travel literature, maps, prints and drawings and a very comprehensive holding of standard books and journals for the study of South West England. This last collection in particular is being continuously consolidated and enlarged. In 1972 the day-to-day administration of the Institution's Library was taken over by the University of Exeter, one of whose staff is in attendance. The Institution also serves as the headquarters of the Devon and Cornwall Record society and it has close links with Devon County Library services, the Royal Albert Memorial Museum, the Exeter Civic Society and other local organisations.
The Library holdings are incorporated into the University of Exeter Library online searchable catalogue
A lease, later to be followed by a freehold, was obtained from the Dean and Chapter of Exeter Cathedral of the former town house of the Courtenay family and one-time home of the Parliamentary general, Sir William Waller. Retaining part of the Tudor house at the rear, which still stands, and the gatehouse range fronting the Close, the founding fathers demolished the old hall and kitchen and in their place and on the former courtyard built two lofty libraries lit by domed lanterns, each library with its own gallery, glazed cupboards and extensive shelving. The building, unchanged except for the installation of electric light and gas-fired central heating has a Grade II* rating in the statutory list of historic buildings in the city. The building overlooks the Cathedral Green which retains a gatehouse range from a Tudor house belonging to the Courtenay family. The central portion was reconstructed in 1814 and has two large library rooms lit by domed lanterns.
Registered charity no 900104