Skip to Content

Langholm Library

Langholm Library founded 1800

Background

The Langholm Library was founded in 1800 and served the local community as a subscription library until 1974. In 1834, it received a substantial bequest in the will of Thomas Telford, the engineer, and, in 1853 it absorbed the Langholm Trades Library (founded 1813). Since 1974, it has been a reference and local studies collection under the control of the Langholm Library Trust.

Collection

The collection consists of 5,000 books representing stock typical of a Scottish community library at the turn of the century. There is also an important collection of books formerly belonging to Hugh MacDiarmid and bearing his autograph.

Building

Listed 1878 building in local stone located in the centre of Langholm.

Status

Langholm Library Trust