- Membership of the AIL
- News & Events
- Directory: Armitt to Chetham's
- Directory: D&E to Ipswich
- Directory: Langholm to Portico
- Directory: Saffron Walden to Working Class
- Online Catalogues
- Literary Prizes
- Annual Meeting of the AIL
BMI founded 1854 (incorporating the Birmingham Library, founded 1779, since 1955)
Library and other services open to members only
Membership subscription details on application
The Institute was constituted by Act of Parliament of 3rd July July 1854 for the 'diffusion and advancement of science, literature and art.' In 1955, it merged with the Birmingham Library which had been founded in 1779, and moved in 1965 to the latter's premises in Margaret Street, which were subsequently enlarged.
Grade II* listed building.
Registered charity no 522852