Skip to Content

Birmingham and Midland Institute

exterior brick building

BMI founded 1854 (incorporating the Birmingham Library, founded 1779, since 1955)

  1. Library and other services open to members only

  2. Membership subscription details on application

Background

The Institute was constituted by Act of Parliament of 3rd July July 1854 for the 'diffusion and advancement of science, literature and art.' In 1955, it merged with the Birmingham Library which had been founded in 1779, and moved in 1965 to the latter's premises in Margaret Street, which were subsequently enlarged.

Collection

two photos of library rooms with books, shelves and card indexThe library of about 100,000 volumes specializes in the humanities and still contains many of its original books. It provides a lending service for members. A recorded music collection is also available.

Building

Grade II* listed building.

BMI Events

Status

Registered charity no 522852